The following are instructions for installing SprinkFLEX® in suspended ceilings.
Our SprinkFLEX® flexible sprinkler hose fitting has limited flexibility and intended to use for direct connection to fire sprinkler in wet systems in accordance with NFPA 13, 13D and 13R. Our SprinkFLEX® flexible sprinkler hose fitting can be installed for use in ceilings with grids which meets ASTM C635 and ASTM C636 referenced by IBC, and is approved for use in standard intermediate and heavy duty structural classification.
SFB28, SFB40, SFB48, SFB59, SFB71 Braided
SFN28, SFN40, SFN48, SFN59, SFN71 Unbraided
BRACKET MODEL: SFO24BKT1, SFO48BKT1
Installation for ASTM C635 metal ceiling suspension systems installed in accordance with ASTM C636 standards
- Determine the place where the sprinkler head will be located. The standard bracket SFO- 24-BKT1 is 24 inches (600mm) long and shall be mounted on the 24 inch (600mm) ceiling grid. The long bracket SFO-48-BKT1 is 48 inches long (1200mm) long and shall be mounted on the 48 inch (1200mm) ceiling grid. The sprinkler should be located as close as possible to the center of the distance between ceiling grids (if necessary).
- Slide reducer bracket onto the cross support bar. Loosely attach the reducer bracket and two clamps on the support bar and place clamps onto ceiling grid so that they support bar crosses the location where the sprinkler will be located (if necessary). See Figure 1.
- Separate nipple (if necessary) from the flexible hose and attach the nipple onto the branch line. Make sure that the arrow is in the appropriate direction of flow to the sprinkler and to use pipe thread sealant and/or Teflon tape at the connection to the branch line. See Figure 2. Attach one end of the flexible hose on to the nipple and tighten the slip nut to maximum torque of 25 ft-lb. Do not twist the flexible hose. See Figure 3A & 3B.
- Bend the flexible hose into a curve that locates the sprinkler reducer at the other end of the flexible hose in the area where the sprinkler will be located. The tube arc should not be twisted and arc should be as large and smooth as possible. The minimum bending radius is 3 inch (76.2 mm) per UL Listing and 8 inch (203mm) per FM Approval. FLEXIBLE HOSES ARE NOT TO BE INSTALLED STRAIGHT (NO BENDS). THE FLEXIBLE STAINLESS STEEL HOSE SHOULD NOT BE BENT WITHIN 21⁄2 INCHES (64 MM) OF THE CONNECTION NUT AT BOTH ENDS.
- Insert the sprinkler reducer into bracket, close hub and lock shaft on reducer bracket. Locate the reducer bracket and sprinkler reducer where the sprinkler will be, and loosely tighten the butterfly bolts on the bracket. See Figure 4A.
- Attach the sprinkler to the sprinkler reducer. Put a wrench on the sprinkler reducer to counteract the tightening torque and prevent the flexible hose from twisting. Reference the sprinkler manufacturer’s sprinkler data sheet for appropriate sprinkler tightening torque, sprinkler wrench and other guidance.
- Verify that the sprinkler reducer is seated in the reducer bracket, precisely locate the sprinkler in all three axis in accordance with the sprinkler manufacturer’s data sheet. Tighten all butterfly bolts on clamps and bracket. The torque requirements for butterfly bolts are minimum 40 in-lb and maximum 50 in-lb. See Figure 4B.
- After tightening all the bolts, verify that the sprinkler is properly located in accordance with the manufacturer’s instruction. If not, loosen the butterfly bolts and readjust as required. See Figure 5.
Important Installation Information
- SprinkFLEX® products must be installed according to current, applicable National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 13, 13D, 13R, etc.) standards or equivalent standards for wet, dry, or pre-action systems. Deviations from these standards or alterations to SprinkFLEX® products or sprinklers will void any warrant. In addition, installations must meet provision of the local authority having jurisdiction and local codes, as applicable.
- For suspended ceiling applications, the ends of the SprinkFLEX® Bracket must be installed to the rails of an ASTM C635 ceiling installed in accordance with ASTM C636 standards.
- SprinkFLEX® Stainless Steel Sprinkler Fittings and/or the SprinkFLEX® Bracket must not be intermixed with other manufacturer’s products.
- Refer to the specific product submittal for applications and listing information. These submittals are located on the website at sprinkflex.com.
- Size the piping system to provide the minimum required flow rate for the sprinkler system.
- Flush the system to remove foreign material. Continue to flush the system until water runs clear.
- DO NOT install sprinkler system piping through heating ducts.
- DO NOT connect sprinkler system piping to domestic hot water systems.DO NOT install sprinklers where they will be exposed to temperatures that exceed the maximum ambient temperature rating for the sprinkler.
- The flexible stainless steel hose should not be bent or fluctuated up-and-down or side-to-side when it is pressurized for test.
- The flexible stainless steel hose should not be bent within 21⁄2 inches/64 mm of the connection nut at both ends.
- Flexible stainless steel hose and fittings have limited flexibility and are intended only to be installed with bends at their respective minimum bend radii.
- Protect wet piping systems for freezing temperatures.
- If construction is altered, refer to applicable standards to determine if additional sprinklers are required.
- The owner is responsible for maintaining the fire protection system in proper operating condition.
- For minimum maintenance and inspection requirements, refer to NFPA 25 and the NFPA pamphlet that describes the care and maintenance of sprinkler systems. In addition, the authority having jurisdiction may have additional maintenance, testing, and inspection requirements that must be followed.